-
March 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
#21
Inactive Member
Mr. Beatle,
I saw the stove two nights ago. I also saw all of her other goodies that are up for auction. I did not buy it. I did tell her I would come to adecision today. My wife is hesitant to have two stoves.
She told me she would be taking the stove off EBAY. I told her that would not be necessary as I was willing to lose the stove to a motivated buyer. It appears that she did take the stove off EBAY yesterday.
The condition of the stove is good. At least, it is in better condition than the stove I'm starting with.
The thermostat needs to be fixed. I don't know if it is out of adjustment or if it needs an entire re-build. The thermostat will only turn as far as 350 degrees. Maybe Sam or someone else can tell me if this means that it needs to be rebuilt.
The doors and panels are clean. The stove has virtually no rust. Where the stove I picked up in Iowa has lots of rust.
There is a build up of greese in the stove, but only where one would have to remove the panels and the top to be able to get at the greese. This women really took care of it and still uses it.
I will talk to her tonight. I haven't made my decision, but am deciding between one of three scenarios.
First, I could decide to let this stove go and continue with the restoration of the stove I already have.
Second, I could buy this stove and use it and the stove I already have to make one stove and sell the or give away the rest to people on this board or on EBAY.
Third, I could restore both stoves and sell one after restoration. The problem with this idea is, I have no idea what a restored stove could go for or if there would be a market for a restored stove at a price that would cover my costs and time.
I'm leaning toward number two. However, I still haven't convinced the wife yet.
As for the pots and parts she is offering on EBAY for those interested. I've noticed that several of our board members are bidding.
The pots have never been used and are immaculate.
The burners are in better shape than the burners on the stove. They may be OK with just a good cleaning.
The stove grates are not in that great of shape and one is cracked
The oven racks are rusted really bad.
I hopes this helps everyone.
Cheers,
Frank
-
March 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
#22
Inactive Member
If you go for option #2 and we can agree on a reasonable price for the backsplash and the storage compartment door (if porcelain on both is in good shape), incl. shipping, I'll offset your purchase by that amount. [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]
-
March 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
#23
Inactive Member
Hi Frank,
I just have to say that I love the idea of a restored (versus parting out) Chambers - there are only so many left. Also, the learning curve we are taking on - why do all that for just one stove? I like the idea of working on one and using the other (then you can see how it goes back together too) then working on the other and selling one when all is complete. Restored stoves seem to be worth a mint!
I think we should part out the stoves that have no other restoration option. Save the Chambers!
My 2 cents anyway! Good luck! Thanks for the report,
-
March 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
#24
Inactive Member
Phoebe,
Thanks for the input, but my wife is more of a bottom line person. She wants to pay the least and get the most. Also, I think I can help out Bluebeetle in the process.
Bluebeetle,
I've sent you a PM. I'm waiting for a reply.
Frank
-
March 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
#25
Inactive Member
I did volunteer Search and Rescue work for a little while and thought that their motto really works when one is angsting over whether or not to part out a Chambers:
"So that others may live."
If dismantling a stove leads to many more restored, then to me it would be an acceptable sacrifice.
-
March 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
#26
HB Forum Owner
[b][i]"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."[/b][/i]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks